There have been two cases of landlords being charged and fined for neglecting their tenants’ safety needs in the past two days. There is a possibility these cases will educate Leeds tenants as to their rights, and will them into action against neglectful landlords.
Leeds city council released information pertaining to a private landlord who has been found guilty for ‘failing to protect his tenants against fire and dampness’.
The landlord, Mr John Michael Laurie of Yeadon, Leeds, was charged for failing to adhere to the improvement notice council officers served him with after examining the property.
Inspectors found a leaking roof and discovered that the property had insufficient fire safety precautions-it was a failure to improve on these that led to the prosecution.
A quote from Councillor Pete Gruen, Leeds City Council executive board member with responsibility or neighbourhoods and housing, said:
“The fines imposed by the court are a reminder to landlords of the seriousness of failing to protect the safety of their tenants.
“It is not acceptable for tenants to live in houses that do not meet simple safety regulations – I would encourage any tenant who feels the property they are living in is not up to standard to contact us.”
It is evident that Leeds council takes any complaints seriously and will take notice if anything is brought to their attention.
Documents outlining the fire safety measures that should be in place, along with information as to how a landlord can ensure their property is safe and legal can be found by following our guide for landlords.
It appears that local governments are coming down hard on those landlords who try to avoid maintain their property to a high standard.
There was a similar hearing in Pembrokeshire where a man has been fined £8,500 for failing to make adequate check on a gas fire in one of his properties. Under law, it is essential that landlords have gas appliances checked annually by a ‘Gas Safe’ plumber, for more information take a look at let-leeds’ guide for landlords.