Setting goals for the year ahead is a great way to manifest success.
As you set personal new years resolutions, it’s a good idea to consider your financial goals too. Whether it’s saving for a new home or making your first property investment, putting plans in place to achieve these goals is the first step on the road to success.
If property features on your list, HOP can help make your dreams for 2022 a reality. So, what are your property goals for this year?
1) I want to buy my first home
Buying your first home is an exciting, yet daunting experience. Most people start by scrolling obsessively on Rightmove until something they like comes up. However, in today’s thriving housing market – where properties sell within days and prices are at record highs – sitting back and waiting can hinder your chances.
Here are HOP’s Top 10 Tips to help you achieve your goal of buying your first home in 2022:
- Set up email alerts on Rightmove so you don’t miss your chance
- Contact local Estate Agents to be added to their mailing lists
- Keep an eye on social media, e.g. @hop_sales where you can often get sneak peeks of properties before they even come to market
- Write a list of what you want from your property and note down what are essentials and what you could compromise on
- Confirm your affordability with a Mortgage Advisor so you can put genuine offers forward
- Ensure you have a Mortgage in Principle that is in date
- Have proof of your funds ready to send to an Estate Agent when required
- Put your best offer forward when bidding at Best and Final, you don’t want to lose out on the dream house by £1,000
- Be personable, you will be surprised how many owners choose their buyer based on their approach
- Write a bit about yourself and why you want the property when putting your offer forward
- Be flexible with your availability, expect that you may need to view properties during working hours
2) I want to sell my property
House prices are currently through the roof, as demand for sales properties outweighs the supply. We are seeing record prices for homes and new listings are inundated with enquiries. If you are considering selling your family home or an investment property in 2022 then now is a great time to sell.
Selling and buying property can be one of the biggest transactions you make in your life. Especially when your property is something you’ve put years of love and care in to, it’s important to get what you feel it’s worth. With that in mind, here are HOP’s Top Tips to help you prepare your property for sale:
- Finish the half-started jobs and fix those minor repairs. From broken kitchen door handles to cracks and holes in the walls, they may not seem a bit deal but they can signal neglect to a buyer. Invest in some paint, fill those holes and re-seal the bath.
- Reduce the clutter and make some space. While you don’t want to try sell an empty house, you also don’t want to try sell a house that’s full to the brim! The less clutter you’ve got, the more spacious the property will feel.
- Stage your rooms where possible. Add flowers to the kitchen table and fold up towels in the bathroom, showing your property in the best possible light makes all the difference when it comes to attracting buyers.
- Do your research. It’s important to find an Estate Agent that is right for you that you can rely on through the process. Remember the two main factors that will help you sell more smoothly – marketing and communication! Choose wisely.
3) I want to become a Property Investor
If 2022 is the year that you decide to dip your toes into the waters of property investment, then we can help you take the leap and start your portfolio. Leeds is a brilliant location, when it comes to investing in buy-to-let property. Its huge population of students and young professionals, ensures a steady demand for quality rental properties across the city and there is a lot of opportunity if you know where to look for it.
- Location is key. If you are looking to invest in student property, then the key student areas like Woodhouse and Hyde Park are going to be easier to rent out than those further afield, while professionals will seek out good local amenities and transport links.
- Consider who you want to rent to. Leeds has a cyclical student market that re-starts every July, but also enjoys a buoyant professional market all year round.
- Identify your level of risk. Think about what investment strategy is right for you. Do you want a simple ‘no fuss’ ready-made rental or do you want to invest in a refurb or HMO?
- Take on a project. Refurbs are a great way to maximise your investment and ensure you can attract the right kind of tenants – putting in a new kitchen or modern bathrooms make all the difference. Need a little help? HOP offers a refurbishment service that can completely transform your investment.
- Ask the experts. Take the guesswork out of finding the right property and get professional help sourcing your next investment. We offer a completely turnkey Property Sourcing service where we not only track down the right property, but also refurb it and then let it out for you.
- Join the HOP Investor Club. Join our mailing list exclusively for investors looking to take advantage of all the Leeds market has to offer and you’ll receive our latest opportunities right to your inbox.
Wherever you are at on your property journey it can sometimes be hard to know where to start but HOP’s friendly team of experienced property experts are here to help, every step of the way.
Back to news
Find out more
To start making your 2022 dreams a reality, contact our Sales Team on 0113 322 9533 or our Investments Team on 0113 467 1584.
Send us a message