As your Tenancy comes to an end, it’s good to be prepared for the coming move. We’ve put together a handy countdown to help make moving home as simple as possible for you.
A couple of months before the move:
- Check on your home insurance and make sure you have cover from the day you move in to your new home.
- Get quotes from removal men and van hire centres.
- Book storage space if required.
- Notify the relevant utility companies of your departure.
- Start to de-clutter and get rid of possessions you no longer need – take good quality items to a charity shop or consider selling them online. Take rubbish to the tip/recycling centre.
- Take a look at our checklist for who to notify when moving home https://www.hop-property.co.uk/who-to-notify-when-youre-moving-home/
- If you are a student, have a read through your Tenant Handbook /content/uploads/2019-student-tenant-handbook.pdf
A couple of weeks before you move:
- Start collecting boxes and packing items.
- Begin to pack non-essential items such as books and non-seasonal clothes into boxes.
- De-register from your doctor, dentist and optician if you’re moving out of the area.
- Visit the post office and arrange for your post to be forwarded (you will be charged a fee for this service).
- Make a list of everyone who should know about the move.
- Send out change of address cards or e-cards.
- Finalise arrangements with your removal company or van hire. Confirm arrival times and make sure your removers have directions to your new address.
- Take all your recycling and large bits of rubbish to the tip.
- Arrange a time to collect and drop off your keys.
- Arrange for a cleaner to do an End of Tenancy clean.
- Notify your bank of any changes to direct debits and standing orders e.g. cancel rent payments.
- Go through your Tenancy Agreement and make sure you’ve dealt with any maintenance issues you are responsible for e.g. gardening, cleaning windows, replacing lightbulbs etc.
Day of the move
- Take your final meter readings – taking a photo is an easy way of making a record!
- Ensure everything is left as you found it when you moved in.
- Leave property and its exterior clean and tidy.
- Put any rubbish in outside bins.
- Return keys – due to the current situation, you will need to book in a key drop off appointment with our staff in line with new Covid-19 safety measures
We wish you all the best on your move!
Back to news