Kirkstall Survival Guide – 5 Killer Reasons to Choose Kirkstall
February 7, 2012 |
Share this article
1. It’s the obvious one, so we might as well get it out of the way – the ruins of the Cistercian monastery, Kirkstall Abbey, founded in c. 1152, is a grade I listed building and Scheduled Ancient Monument. It’s a stunning piece of history, and following a £5.5m renovation programme, is in fantastic condition. It has also hosted Frankenstein’s Wedding… Live in Leeds and a couple of Kaiser Chiefs concerts. The history continues!
2. Kirkstall has three decent pubs: The West End House, Vesper’s Gate, and the Old Bridge Inn. They all serve good food, particularly The West End House. Relaxation and real ale is the name of the game in Kirkstall’s pubs. If that gets too boring for you, all the pleasures of Headingley are not far away.
3. Ever striving to be the best, the UK is the fattest nation in Europe, with 25% of the population being classed as obese. With McDonald’s aiming to open 30 new “restaurants” in the UK every year, there’s every chance we can retain this proud title. On offer to those with professional accommodation in Kirkstall, however, is the Kirkstall Leisure Centre, a place which is trying to scupper this victory. It’s got a swimming pool, a wide range of fitness classes, children’s activities, and loads of other stuff to help you show Europe that we don’t want to be number one. Why not help patch up relations by letting the French be the “best”?
4. Kirkstall Valley Retail Park is home to stores such as Bhs, Boots, JJB Sports, Halfords, Carphone Warehouse, and a massive Morrison’s. It may be lacking in soul, but it’s a handy local convenience.
5. A nice touch to any area is something that’s a little out of the ordinary, a unique little gem that adds a sparkle and shine. Yeah, Kirkstall has its Abbey, but it also has Kirkstall Valley Nature Reserve, the closest reserve to the city centre. It’s a beautiful place to spend an afternoon walking, bird-watching, or simply to escape civilisation.
Whether you’re looking for professional accommodation in Kirkstall or student accommodation in Kirkstall, I’m sure there’s something there for you to enjoy. It’s a very chilled out, take in the sights kind of area, among the best in Leeds.