Numbers 3 to 7 Crown Street, a run-down terrace of shops and takeaways hiding in the shadow of the Corn Exchange, could be brought back into use as a pub and dining venue, pending the approval of plans submitted by Think Architecture and Design, the business behind the White Cloth Gallery in Leeds city centre.
The buildings are listed, and date back to the late 18th century. The buildings were used as a pub for over 100 years, first as the The Crown Inn, later becoming The Crown and Fleece Inn, then finally as The Crown and Fleece Hotel, which closed in 1930.
Situated next to arguably the most popular steakhouse in Leeds, the Cattle Grid, the properties are in poor condition both inside and outside, requiring a complete renovation. Thankfully, Think Architecture and Design have plans to do just that. The primary aim of their submitted proposals is to return the properties to their historical use, to create a new Crown and Fleece for the 21st century.
With the White Cloth Gallery proving to be a huge success, it is exciting to think what could be made of these forgotten and ignored buildings if the plans are approved.
Back to news