Wortley (pronounced Wurt-lee) is a district of Leeds, West Yorkshire, England. It begins a one mile to the west of the city centre. In the 1086 Domesday Book it is mentioned as Wirtlei, also Wirtleie and Wrleia.
Later it was known as Wirkelay until about 1700. The manor, once situated on what is now Green Hill Lane, was owned by the Hopton family until the English Civil War and then afterwards by the Smyth family. Wortley was a weaving township independent of Leeds before it became industrial with coal pits, brickworks, railway yards and engine sheds – including a roundhouse, on Wellington Road. This Listed building, originally constructed to house a dozen or so steam locomotives, is now the premises of a major commercial vehicle hire company. In the 1880s, Wortley became incorporated into the expanding (then) town of Leeds.
Wortley is divided into three areas. New Wortley is the area closest to Leeds city centre, Armley and Holbeck; Lower Wortley is furthest from the city centre and close to Farnley, and Upper Wortley is situated between Armley and Lower Wortley.
Today, Lower Wortley has a major ‘cash and carry’ warehouse, as well as many car dealerships, including main dealers for brands such as Honda, Porsche, Ford and Mazda. These are popular in this area of the city due to the location of the Leeds Outer Ring Road that passes through Lower Wortley and connects with the M621 motorway.