1. Always ask your Landlord to provide you with a copy of the Gas Safety Certificate before you move into your property.
2. Your Landlord must protect your deposit under the terms of the Tenancy Deposit Scheme. They should also let you know which scheme your deposit is being held in.
3. It is always best to have an Inventory created at the start of your Tenancy so that it is clear to all parties exactly what state the property was in at the start of the Tenancy.
4. If a property is rented on a shared basis, only one TV licence is required. If sharers have individual Tenancy Agreements or have a lock on their bedroom doors, then a TV licence is needed for each room.
5. Full time students are exempt from paying council tax, but part-time students are not.
6. Most student Tenancy Agreements run for 12 months from 1st July.
7. Burglars tend to target student areas due to the more relaxed approach to security measures and the sheer amount of electrical goods in the house. Make sure you lock your windows and doors when you are not in.
Let Leeds are here to help – so if you have any questions prior to your move or during your Tenancy, we will be more than happy to answer them. Remember, we were all once students and have a wealth of knowledge about Leeds, so we are best placed to help you. Call our dedicated Student Team on 0113 322 9324 to find out more about what you need to know before renting your first student pad.